As twisted and complex as the situation is in Jerusalem, it is probably ten times worse in my head. I went into this class as a Jew and I have come out of this class as an educated Jew. I am more passionate about what is going on but I simply do not know enough to make a difference. If I were to publicly start campaigning or rallying for one side, it would be equivalent to being a deaf man at a concert...I simply do not know enough.
This class was great, as it educated me on a complex situation, but did it in a unique way. The class took the common approach of reading a history book (Karen's) but mixed it with looking at other streams of communication such as music. I honestly think that the class was constructed fabulously in that it educated us of the conflict though different approaches.
Now when it comes down to my position, I feel that nothing has changed. I also feel that a lot has changed. As for my opinion, it has not changed because of the way I was raised however, I feel stronger about the conflict because I am now educated about it. I understand why both sides are mad, I understand little tactics that fuel the fire on each side, and most importantly I understand that the majority of the people are fed up with this conflict and all they want is peace.
The one thing I can proudly take away from this class is that it isn't all Palestinians that hate Jews and it isn't all Jews that hate Palestinians. A great deal of both sides want peace...maybe if we can relay this message to the our friends, family, and most importantly the media something special could be brewed up.
No comments:
Post a Comment