Follow Me

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Location, Location, Location

After reading the introduction and first four chapters of Karen Armstrong's Jerusalem: One City, Three Faiths, there was one line from the introduction that just stayed in my head throughout the rest of the reading:

"We are the victims of natural disasters, of mortality, extinction, and human injustice and cruelty."  

Religion is supposed to heal the sick and comfort those in need.  We take pride in religion as we study our past and learn about our ancestors.  But in reality, religion actually causes more stress, creates more conflict, and sparks more controversies than it does in comforting those in need.  

Religion has caused so much conflict because of the pride that its followers have.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm a victim of it.  I am a Jew and I am proud.  I look out for other Jews as I would expect them to look out for me.  If two people had an identical interview for one job opportunity, I would most likely take the one who had the most stereotypical Jewish last name...it's natural-it's the pride I have.  This one situation might cause a little argument but it certainly would not cause a war.  Now imagine this similar situation going on everywhere...a trend starts-this is how conflicts escalate and before you know it there could be a war.  

After reading the first four chapters, I have drawn an opinion on who I believe Jerusalem should belong to, but I do not want to share as I want to develop this thought throughout the duration of the semester.  Jerusalem is so unique because it is one small area, 48.3 square miles to be exact, that represents so much.  Think of the cliche line between married couple, "this is the spot where we had our first kiss".  Jerusalem is the spot where everybody had their first kiss.  Jerusalem is that spot that everyone wants to get their hands on.  Most importantly, Jerusalem is that spot that everyone from all different faiths wants to call their home...this is why we have a conflict.  There simply is too little Jerusalem to go around. 

Jerusalem is the Western Wall, the Mosque of al-Aqsa, the spot where Jesus died and was resurrected, Jerusalem runs in our blood.  With such a rich history and controversial past and present, we all want Jerusalem to be ours.  Until this problem gets solved, which it will never, Jerusalem will continue to be that small public pool on a 110 degree day.  We all have rights to it, but cannot all fit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment