Although we are not even two weeks into this course, I am beginning the see the crazy (and crazy is an appropriate word to describe it) history that Jerusalem holds. It really is no wonder that the city has a special place in what it seems to be everybody's heart.
From Mick Dumper's Jerusalem Then and Now reading, he shows that Jerusalem's inhabitants throughout its time include: the Jebusites, Israelites, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Maccabean Jews, Romans, Muslims, Christian Crusaders, Ottomans, British, and Jordanians. In addition, the city has been destroyed and rebuilt multiple times. Now this is just in recorded history so it is likely that there is even more history that exists that has been lost in time and translation. With that many inhabitants over time, there is bound to be conflict.
I immediately began to compare Jerusalem to major US cities in terms of culture. Major US cities are typically very diverse areas. There usually is a "China Town", "Little Italy", and other districts based upon culture whether it be in the heart of the city or a surrounding suburban area. With Jerusalem, it is all about the city. It seems like everyone has roots from Jerusalem and everyone wants to be in the city...not in the surrounding mountains and desert.
I will be the first to admit that I had previously thought that Jerusalem was in Israeli control for a long period of time. I was shocked to actually find out that Jerusalem has only been in Israeli control since 1967. Reading the articles, I have taken away that Jerusalem is quite possibly the most unstable city on earth. Based on past history it appears that throughout my lifetime, power is very much likely to shift again and again...history repeats itself.
I understand that class is not about coming up with a solution to the conflict, and I hate to be that "Negative Nancy" type of person but the more that I learn about Jerusalem, I see less and less hope for mutual peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment