Follow Me

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

We'll Be Singing, When We're Winning


The theme is so reoccurring...the Israelis get knocked down, but they always get up again.  Now I am not trying to fully part away from Karen Armstrong's book here, but the only thing I could really think of when reading chapters 8-10 was the 1997 song Tubthumping by Chumbawamba.  Now being completely honest, I have no idea what the true meaning of the song is, however when the following words are sung, all I can think of is the Israelis in Jerusalem.

"We'll be singing, when we're winning" and "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never going to keep me down"

It is one hundred percent true.  The Israelis have continually been knocked, but every time they get up again and they get up stronger.  The amount of hate (that is or was) out there for them almost is a motivator.  You can knock down the Israelis most sacred spot...go for it.  They'll just build it right back again.

When the Roman's took control a whole lot changed in terms of Jewish ritual.  What did the Israelis do?  You know it...they adapted and developed new ways of living, learning, and praying.  Yes, the rituals had to change, but once again they were knocked down to what many would see as the end of something, and built right back up.

It is a bond that I assume will grow thicker and bolder over time.  It's almost that each threat, each bomb,  and each act of terror against Israelis makes them realize that this has been theirs for hundreds of years.  They have seen the lowest of lowest.  They have been destroyed, exiled, and controlled time and time again.  If you want to wipe out their traditions, it will just make them stronger and stronger.

I feel that I say this every post, so here it goes again.  History will continue to repeat itself.  I have no doubt in my mind that (unfortunately) this conflict will continue to grow throughout my lifetime.  It may take a natural disaster that brings about times of sheer desperation as Israelis will have to help Palestinians and Palestinians will have to help Israelis to bring both sides to a conclusion.  There will continue to be disagreements until Israelis and Palestinians alike see that they have something in common-they are Jerusalemites.

3 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed your comparison between the history of the Israelis and Chumbawumba's Tubthumping. I had never made that connection before, but after reading all of Armstrong's writing and then seeing your reading response it is just so fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the song reference linking to the Israelites over the years is a great connection. You're right, they are definitely one of the strongest groups of people in the world. They have literally been knocked down who knows how many times over the last...thousands of years? and they are still fighting for their land. It makes for such a better perspective that they are still going strong and want to keep what is theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually laughed when I read this ( and now will have this song stuck in my head all day) but I think its a really good description of the Israelis situation. One thing I've learned from reading this book, is that they are not going down without a fight, and even after a fight, they are certainly not staying down. Their resilience is unparalleled! They are constantly being taken over, their temples massacred, and persecuted to no end. I've learned that they have a very strong religious identity that cannot be shaken no matter what they face. Even today they are stil fighting for their land and identity.

    ReplyDelete