What can I possibly do? Howcan I come up with a plan to make peace in Jerusalem?
I can do one thing---face the facts that I cannot do anything to make progress on this situation.
Territories have shifted and they will continue to shift and people will continue to be angry until everyone is happy. When I was in Israel with Birthright, I clearly remember my tour guide (an Israeli) saying "The problem with us Jews is that if there's two of us in the same room, we have three different opinions." If Jews cannot even be content when negotiating with one another, how are they ever going to make peace and be content with Palestinians? My mind is basically in a stalemate, the conflict cannot be solved...it is sad but I just keep telling myself that the only solution is no solution.
But then I thought of something...this may not be what some would call making progress towards peace, however I am going to give this method a try.
Below is a scene form the movie Bruno. Now, if you have never seen this film, let me tell you right now it is highly racist, sexist, and so politically wrong..but hear me on this. This scene is all real. Sacha Baron Cohen, who is actually Jewish, acts as an uninformed man about the Jerusalem situation as he sits down with an Israeli Professor and Palestinian Governor.
Look at me, I am a Jew from New York and wouldn't even know how to explain the current situation...now imagine your typical American. He may too think that Hamas is Hummus.
We need to inform the uninformed. If we gain publicity from the outside (U.S) on this conflict, maybe people will start to care and begin to understand the complexity of this issue. With neutral support from surrounding countries, maybe we could get both Israelis and Palestinians alike to negotiate.
Currently such a deep hole exists. We really cannot go much further backwards in terms of peace. If we inform the uninformed we could possibly take steps towards peace. You have to start somewhere, why not here.
I could not agree with you more on the idea that we need to inform the uninformed. The problem (in this context) is that the majority of the people who are learning about this now already have an opinion and bias (although surprisingly our class is not representative of this statement). These are the people that care about the issue.
ReplyDeleteSo what arises is a common problem in issue-specific politics. We need the support of those who don't care- the middle-ground people. But if they don't care, then what purpose do they serve? Is it better to educate the ignorant or those who have strong opinions already? No matter what, it is the education that counts.
On your point of "we really cannot go much further backwards..." comment, I have to respectfully disagree. There are currently actions on both sides of the conflict that are pushing the possibility of an agreement further away. Yes, the hole is deep, but it is possible to keep digging forever. That's why the time to solve this is now, because time can only make things worse.
Loved your posting, Danny...and I also agree: inform the uninformed! And I understand your point. My uncle has told me many times (yes, he's Jewish) that when 2 Jews are together there is at least three opinions, if not more.
ReplyDeleteAnd Ethan, your post makes sense too. What IS backwards, really? Because digging backwards will also arrive at an end...it's just inconvenient and a whole lot more work, generally. And it's true that when an issue is approached as early as possible it hasn't had as much time to fester, but, there sure has been a lot of water under this bridge. I wonder if it's the time, or the attitude that need to change in time that needs to be in place for conflict resolution.....not sure!
I agree with you on several of the points you brought up in your blog. Sadly, I also feel that there is no solution, as badly as I want one to exist. Also, I agree that we need to inform those that are uninformed so that they are able to have their own opinions and impact the conflict in some way. Unfortunately, I feel that too many of the countries that are members of the UN don't believe that Israel has the right to exist. I think that as long as the countries continue to support a two state solution, we remain at a dead end.
ReplyDelete